Skip to main content
Hays Travel Homepage

Travel Requirements

Why should I take out Travel Insurance on my holiday?
  • Adequate travel insurance is a condition of your contract with either Hays Travel or the supplier in question, as applicable. You must take out a policy of insurance in order to cover you and your fellow travellers against the cost of cancellation by you; the cost of assistance (including repatriation) in the event of accident or illness; loss of baggage and money; and other expenses. The cost of travel insurance is based on the type of cover requested, the age of the insured, the destination of travel, length of stay and any pre-existing medical conditions.


  • Hays Travel has some of the most competitive travel insurance in the market which can be found during the purchase process. If we have issued your travel insurance policy, please check it carefully to ensure that all the details are correct and that all relevant information has been provided by you (e.g. pre-existing medical conditions). Failure to disclose relevant information will affect your insurance. If you fail to travel with adequate insurance cover, we will not be liable for any losses in respect of which insurance cover would otherwise have been available.


Will I need a Visa?

Customers are responsible for obtaining any visas required for their holiday. If you're unsure whether a visa is required for your trip, information can be found by visiting the relevant embassy website. For visitors on package holidays to Cuba, visas will be provided by your tour operator within ten days of departure.

How do I organise my visa?

Customers are responsible for obtaining any visas required for their holiday. If you're unsure whether a visa is required for your trip, information can be found by visiting the relevant embassy website.

Do my children need their own passports?

Yes, children require their own passport to travel abroad. Children's passports are generally valid for 5 years. Application forms are available from Post Office branches that offer the Passport Check & Send service, or you can request a form online and it will be sent to you in the post. More information can be found by visiting the following government website link:

I am a British citizen, how do I know if I need a Visa to travel?

Visa requirements vary from country to country. For information on passport/visa requirements and other general travel requirements, please visit Please note, it is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct documentation to allow entry, and travel to and from, the country you are visiting.

How do I apply for a new passport or renew my passport?

You can renew or replace your UK adult passport up to 9 months before your current one runs out. It currently takes at least three weeks to get your passport via the post and can take longer between April and September. The Post Office offers a Passport Check & Send Service which expedites the receipt of your new passport, but there is an additional charge for this service. Apply early whenever you can. Further information can be found at

What should I check with regards to my passport?
You need a passport to travel and will be prevented from boarding your flight if you do not have one. Some countries will require you to have a valid passport for 6 months after your return date. This does vary from country to country, and we recommend that you check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website for advice for the specific country you are travelling to. If you need to organise a new passport, please allow plenty of processing time before your departure, although you can pay an additional fee to via the Post Office Passport Check & Send Service to expedite UK passport delivery. More information can be obtained via the following website
What are E111 and EHIC forms?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) replaced the E111 form in January 2006. It can be used to cover any necessary medical treatment due to either an accident or illness within the European Economic Area (EEA). The EHIC entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment within the country they are visiting. The service provided will be the same as received by a person covered by the country's insured medical scheme.

What is the Electronic System for Travel Authority (ESTA) requirement for US destinations?

When travelling to the USA by air or sea, the US authorities require you to travel under the Visa Waiver Programm (VWP) and to register for Electronic Travel Authority (ESTA) before you depart the UK. Passengers who have not applied for and received travel authorisation via the ESTA programme prior to travel, may be denied boarding, experience delayed processing or be denied admission at their US port of entry. You apply for the ESTA online and this establishes your eligibility to travel to the USA. The gaining of a visa or travelling visa-free with an ESTA is merely part of the travel approval process and does not guarantee you automatic entry to the USA; this is down to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
If you have any queries on the ESTA process, please address these to the US Embassy Consular department. Please remember that if you are refused boarding or denied admission at the US port of entry, in accordance with the terms of our contract with you, you will still be subject to our cancellation charges.
The application form is available online at Prior to travel, you are required to complete the online application (currently in English only). There is a $14.00 fee charged for each new or renewed ESTA application. All payments must be made by credit or debit card when applying for or renewing an ESTA at The ESTA system accepts the following credit/debit cards: MasterCard, VISA, American Express and Discover. Your application will not be submitted for processing until all correct payment information is received.