Frequently Asked Questions

I haven't travelled yet

Advance Passenger Information (API) must be provided to the authorities before you travel. This required information includes your passport details and your contact information. Incorrect or incomplete information may result in your journey being delayed, either at check in or immigration. Hays Travel Ltd cannot accept responsibility for incomplete or inaccurate information and no refunds will be issued if you are unable to travel as a consequence of this. If you are unsure on who you provide your API to then please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation.

The majority of our suppliers now issue e-tickets. Information relating to your booking will be sent to you within 48 hours of the booking being made. There are, however, some exceptions. Some low cost airlines now require boarding cards to be printed before check-in.
All relevant documentation required for travel can be accessed and printed via the 'MY BOOKING' section of the Hays Travel website.

Not all airlines allow passengers to check-in online prior to travel. If online check-in is available, you will need your airline reference number, which can be found on your booking confirmation. Online check-is usually available from approximately 5 to 7 days before departure date.

Please see below a list of tour operators, and how to quickly and easily pre-book seats with them for your forthcoming trip:
For TUI or First Choice, click here to pre-book your seats. You will need your supplier booking reference number which can be found on your booking summary. Once these details have been entered, you will be taken to a seating plan where you can search and select your desired seats. Please ensure you read the specific airline terms and conditions. If the airline you are travelling with has not been mentioned above or you are unsure how to proceed with pre-booking your seats, please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation.

Where an email address has been provided, a confirmation email containing your booking summary will be sent to you within 48 hours.
E-tickets, which have been adopted by the majority of our suppliers, allow passengers ticketless travel. If the airline you are travelling with uses e-tickets, you will be sent the required information via email within 24 hours of making your booking. Once received, simply print the documentation, as it is required for you to travel.

Low cost airlines do not offer this facility, however, many will offer a pay-on-board trolley service during your flight. If you are traveling to a long-haul destination and wish to add this service at an additional cost then please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation.

The majority of airlines will allow you to increase the amount of luggage you wish to take for an additional fee. This will vary for each individual airline. If you would like to upgrade your hold luggage after booking, please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation. If you do exceed your pre-arranged luggage allowance, the airline is within its rights to charge any excess baggage fees.

Yes, you can make secure online payments by visiting the ‘MY BOOKING’ section of the Hays Travel website. In order to log in, you will need your booking reference number, as well as the surname and date of birth of the lead passenger. You can pay using either a credit or debit card, or by using Pay with Bank transfer. Paying with Bank transfer is a simple, speedy, secure way to make your payment directly from your bank account. It lets you see your account balance before you approve the payment, and means you benefit from bank-grade security and no shared card details, as the payment is handled entirely by your bank.
There are restrictions on what items you are permitted to carry in your hand luggage and hold luggage when boarding aircraft in the UK.

Taking liquids through security
There are restrictions on the amount of liquids you can carry in your hand luggage. If possible, pack liquids in your hold luggage (this is the baggage that you check-in prior to your flight).
If you do take liquids in your hand luggage then:
Liquids must be placed in containers that hold no more than 100ml each. Containers should be placed in a single, transparent, resealable plastic bag measuring approximately 20cm x 20cm. No more than one litre of liquids are to be carried in the plastic bag. The contents must fit comfortably inside the plastic bag so it can be sealed. The plastic bag must not be knotted or tied at the top. Only one plastic bag is to be carried per person and it must be shown at the airport security point prior to boarding your flight.
Containers larger than 100ml (except essential medicines), will not be allowed through the security point, even if they are only part full.
Liquids include:
All drinks, including water, soup and syrups Cosmetics and toiletries, including creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara and lipsticks
Sprays, including shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants
Pastes, including toothpaste
Gels, including hair and shower gel
Contact lens solution
Any other solutions and items of similar consistency

Cigarette Lighters
You can only carry one cigarette lighter onboard the aircraft and it should be put inside a plastic bag with any liquids you may be carrying. You must keep the cigarette lighter with you throughout the flight. Please note that cigarette lighters cannot be placed inside hold luggage. Download the Civil Aviation Authority's (CAA) guide for full details of what you can carry in your luggage.
Further information can be found on the Direct Gov website, however, Hays Travel is not responsible, and accepts no liability, for the content found on the Direct Gov website.
If you require prescribed medication for a health condition, you should talk to your GP or Practice Nurse about travelling before your holiday, as they will be able tell you if you need to make any special arrangements. You should also always carry your medication in a correctly labelled container, as issued by your pharmacist. Try to carry your medication in your hand luggage (airline regulations permitting), with a copy of your prescription. Try and also pack a spare supply of medication in your suitcase or hold luggage where possible, in case you lose your hand luggage. It may be a good idea to travel with a copy of your prescription. Some airlines require a letter from your GP giving details of your medication, as well as the name of the health condition that you require the medication for.
Yes, you need a passport to travel and will be prevented boarding if you do not have one.
Some countries will require you to have a valid passport for 6 months after your return date. This does vary from country to country, and we recommend that you check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website for advice for the specific country you are travelling to.
For non-UK passport holders, you will need to contact the embassy or consulate of the country you are travelling to. These contacts can also be found on the FCO website. Your documents will be checked at the UK departure point for your trip, and if not deemed acceptable, you will be denied travel. So please make sure you check your documentation. If you need to organise a new passport, please allow plenty of processing time before your departure, although you can pay an additional fee to expedite UK passport delivery. More information can be obtained via the following website
Yes, children require their own passport to travel abroad. Children's passports are generally valid for 5 years. Application forms are available from Post Office branches that offer the Passport Check & Send service, or you can request a form online and it will be sent to you in the post. More information can be found by visiting the following government website link:
Flight arrival times are "To Be Confirmed". This may be due to the fact your tour operator has not yet confirmed its arrival slots. However, your flight times will be confirmed when you receive your tickets.

We kindly ask that you read the descriptions for the accommodation carefully during the booking process to help you select the right place to stay. Bear in mind whether the location is appropriate if you have walking difficulties. 
Should you need to make additional requests after your booking is confirmed, then please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation. There may be a cut of time before arrival for submitting assistance requests to your chosen accommodation, so we ask you to let us know as soon as possible. Some requests cannot be guaranteed.

If special assistance is required, you should notify us at the time of booking. This information will then be passed on to the airline in advance of travel. If you require special assistance but haven't notified us, please contact the telephone number provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation.


You can book extra legroom seats on your flight, but this often depends on which airline you fly with. If you wish to add on this service at an additional cost then please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation.

Multiple room bookings cannot currently be made on the website and must be made over the phone. We do this to ensure we can endeavour to meet all the needs and requirements of larger groups, such as requests for adjoining rooms. If you wish to add on multiple rooms; Please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation.

The FCO (Foreign & Commonwealth Office) is the British government department that issues advice as to whether a country is considered unsafe to travel to. Airlines and Tour Operators here in the UK will generally follow advice given by the FCO regarding travelling to and from a country and we will endeavour to warn you of anything that is reported. The FCO website also features information on a selection of subjects which are useful when travelling overseas.
You can renew or replace your UK adult passport up to 9 months before your current one runs out. It currently takes at least three weeks to get your passport via the post and can take longer between April and September. The Post Office offers a Passport Check & Send Service which expedites the receipt of your new passport, but there is an additional charge for this service. Apply early whenever you can. Further information can be found at

A request to cancel a booking must be made in writing by the lead passenger. The best way to do this is by sending an email to the one provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation. Please make it clear to us if you are looking to cancel the entire booking or whether you would just like to cancel a specific member of your party's booking. To help us assist you quicker, please include your booking reference number. We will then contact you to advise you of any cancellation charges and seek your consent prior to cancelling. A cancellation invoice can be issued upon request should you require one for insurance purposes.

Please check with your departure airport for up to date flight information. This information may also be available on your departure airport website.
Customers are responsible for obtaining any visas required for their holiday. If you're unsure whether a visa is required for your trip, information can be found by visiting the relevant embassy website. For visitors on package holidays to Cuba, visas will be provided by your tour operator within ten days of departure.
We choose the majority of the properties we sell because of their popularity with our customers, trip advisor ratings and returning customers. We also have knowledgeable staff, with many years of travel industry experience and local knowledge, to assist our choice.
The question of awarding star ratings is a difficult one. Unlike other hard facts, such as whether the property has a pool or how far it is from the beach, there appears to be no universally recognised standard between countries. This leaves us with the option of using official ratings (ie. those awarded by the tourist body of the country in question) or using a rating awarded by an accommodation supplier selling to the UK market. We do not use the first option to set star ratings, since standards vary so much from country to country and are often based on local opinion. On balance, we believe that the second option gives our customers the best chance to compare accommodation.
Availability changes on a daily basis. By clicking the departure date within the search form on the Home or Holidays pages, you will be presented with a calendar which will show the results of all available dates. You can generally book 12-18 months in advance, and our inventory is regularly updated.
The cost of booking extra luggage varies from airline to airline. Booking extra luggage allowance before travelling can save you money, compared to paying at the airport.

Visa requirements vary from country to country. For information on passport/visa requirements and other general travel requirements, please visit Please note, it is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct documentation to allow entry, and travel to and from, the country you are visiting.

Policies vary between airlines, so it is best to ask about restrictions when booking your flight. It is generally accepted that you can fly during the first and second trimesters of pregnancy. Please note, airlines can prevent travel if they are worried about how far along in your pregnancy you are. To avoid any issues, it is recommended that you get written permission to fly from your doctor or midwife. The letter should confirm your due date and state that you have been examined and are not likely to go into labour within the next 72 hours.

Please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation. The name on your ticket should match the name as it appears on your passport. Changes to incorrect spellings may or may not be allowed by the airline depending on their policies, and will generally be subject to an amendment fee.

Name changes are subject to the terms and conditions of your tour operator or airline, and will incur amendment fees. Please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation who will obtain the information specific to your booking.

Tap water is generally regarded as safe to drink in developed areas such as mainland Europe and America, especially in major cities and resorts. In other areas, it is recommended that you drink bottled water, which is readily available. Drinks made using boiling water are also safe to drink.
The standard of accommodation and board basis on an 'allocation on arrival' holiday are guaranteed. However, the accommodation is allocated on arrival by the holiday company, and is subject to their terms and conditions. This type of holiday is ideal for those who want to book late and who are flexible; but isn't recommended if you want specifics, such as a property located near the beach, or particular features, like a swimming pool or a property with no steps.
To ensure you make the most of new and exciting dishes and to avoid an upset stomach during your holiday, there are some simple guidelines which we recommend: ensure meat products are thoroughly cooked and piping hot before eating; wash and rinse raw food; place cooking utensils in hot water before using them for food preparation; ensure all foods are protected from birds, flies and other insects.
Flight times are subject to change, therefore, we recommend that you check with your airline or the website of the airport you're departing from for the latest information on departures.
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) replaced the E111 form in January 2006 . It can be used to cover any necessary medical treatment due to either an accident or illness within the European Economic Area (EEA). The EHIC entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment within the country they are visiting. The service provided will be the same as received by a person covered by the country's insured medical scheme.

Visit the Destinations pages on the website for more information on the currency that is legal tender for country you are visiting. All major currencies can be ordered online via the Hays Travel website or are available from your nearest high street branch of Hays Travel. We are also able to offer you fantastic daily rates, commission free currency and commission free buybacks.

Current restrictions on the use of electrical items on board an aircraft can be found by visiting the following Direct Gov website - Hays Travel accepts no liability for the content found on the Direct Gov website.
ABTA and ABTA Members help you to get the most from your travel and assist you when things don't go according to plan. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA's Code of Conduct. For further information about ABTA, the Code of Conduct, and the arbitration scheme available to you if you have a complaint, please visit
All our package and Flight-Plus holidays are financially protected by the Air Travel Organisers Licence (ATOL) scheme to give you peace of mind (our ATOL number is 5534). If the operator fails, then the ATOL scheme makes sure that customers don't lose their money or find themselves stranded abroad. The ATOL scheme does not encompass accommodation only or flight only bookings. For more information regarding the ATOL scheme and what it covers, visit the CAA website at
A private transfer is a taxi or other vehicle reserved exclusively for your party. Your private transfer will be waiting for you when you arrive at your destination airport, and will provide a speedy door-to-door service to your accommodation, without any stops en route. Private transfers generally cost more than choosing a coach or shuttle bus transfer.
A shuttle transfer is usually via a shared coach or bus service. Shuttle transfers can take longer to get you to your accommodation, as they often entail waiting for passengers from assorted flights before the service departs and subsequent stops en route before your final destination. Shuttle transfers are often less expensive than a private transfer, but are a great choice if you are working to a budget or travelling as a group.
When travelling to the USA by air or sea, the US authorities require you to travel under the Visa Waiver Programm (VWP) and to register for Electronic Travel Authority (ESTA) before you depart the UK. Passengers who have not applied for and received travel authorisation via the ESTA programme prior to travel, may be denied boarding, experience delayed processing or be denied admission at their US port of entry. You apply for the ESTA online and this establishes your eligibility to travel to the USA. The gaining of a visa or travelling visa-free with an ESTA is merely part of the travel approval process and does not guarantee you automatic entry to the USA; this is down to the immigration officer at the port of entry. If you have any queries on the ESTA process, please address these to the US Embassy Consular department. Please remember that if you are refused boarding or denied admission at the US port of entry, in accordance with the terms of our contract with you, you will still be subject to our cancellation charges. The application form is available online at Prior to travel, you are required to complete the online application (currently in English only). There is a $14.00 fee charged for each new or renewed ESTA application. All payments must be made by credit or debit card when applying for or renewing an ESTA at The ESTA system accepts the following credit/debit cards: MasterCard, VISA, American Express and Discover. Your application will not be submitted for processing until all correct payment information is received.

Your individual hold baggage allowance will vary depending on which airline you are flying with; whether your flight is short or long haul; or whether you are taking a package holiday or flight only. Hays Travel will, where possible, give you the option to purchase additional baggage allowance for a fee dependent on the airline. If you wish to add an additional baggage allowance at a later date, please contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation.

All types of transfers usually include one suitcase per person as their standard luggage allowance. Additional luggage allowance, for items such as car seats or golf clubs, may incur an additional local charge, but we will be happy to arrange this for you if you contact the telephone number or email address provided on your Hays Travel Booking Confirmation prior to departure. Passengers take full responsibility for their own luggage on all types of transfers.

It is always useful to include a few items in your luggage in case of any unforeseen emergencies. We suggest plasters, antiseptic cream, headache or pain relief, stomach remedies, travel sickness medication, insect repellent, after-sun lotion and cotton wool. Also, please remember to take adequate supplies of any prescribed medication with you on your holiday.
You need a passport to travel and will be prevented from boarding your flight if you do not have one. Some countries will require you to have a valid passport for 6 months after your return date. This does vary from country to country, and we recommend that you check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website for advice for the specific country you are travelling to. If you need to organise a new passport, please allow plenty of processing time before your departure, although you can pay an additional fee to via the Post Office Passport Check & Send Service to expedite UK passport delivery. More information can be obtained via the following website
Check in for most airlines is 2 to 3 hours prior to departure. We suggest you allow for plenty of time to get to the airport in case of heavy traffic. If you are collecting your tickets at the airport, please allow additional time in case of queues. Please note it is your responsibility to make sure you allow adequate time to check in and airlines are very strict about this.
Customers who are travelling outside the UK may need to be vaccinated against some of the serious diseases found in other parts of the world. In fact, some countries require you to have an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP) before you enter. For additional advice on this, please consult the following website:

Where an email address has been provided, a confirmation email containing your booking summary will be sent to you within 48 hours.

It is advised to choose a sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation from the sun. The SPF (sun protection factor) tells you the amount of protection the sun cream gives against UVB radiation. To give you the best protection from the sun’s harmful rays, it is recommended to buy higher factors (at least factor 15). It is important to check the 'use by' date on your sun creams, as most only last around 2 to 3 years.
The above information is given as guidance only and Hays Travel Ltd will not accept any liability resulting in injury or harm from following the above advice. When using any skin care products, please read the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for use.
The currency used in the USA is the US Dollar ($). We recommend that your spending money includes an amount of cash, with the remainder in traveller’s cheques (or on a currency card). Please note that some places may charge when converting traveller’s cheques. This advice is applicable for anywhere where US Dollars are accepted.
A copy of the Hays Travel booking conditions can be found on or made available to you upon request. If you are choosing to book on our website, the relevant conditions can also be viewed by clicking on the following link:
Hays Travel Ltd takes data protection and the safety of any information we collect from our customers very seriously and follow industry compliance guidelines. For further details on how we store your details and how we use them, we recommend you click on the following link:
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct documentation to travel. These documents include: A valid passport, an appropriate visa (where required), travel insurance documents and health forms such EHIC. If you do not travel with the correct documentation, you may not be permitted to board your flight.
We advise you visit the relevant airport website for information on which terminal your flight will be departing from.
We recommend that you take out appropriate travel insurance for your overseas holiday. Should you require treatment while abroad or need to be flown back on medical ground to the UK, you can contact your travel insurance provider on their emergency contact number for further advice.
If you travel overseas without appropriate medical cover, it is likely that the full cost of any medical treatment and your early return to the UK will need to be paid for by yourself, family or friends. Please note, if you show your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you are likely to receive free or reduced cost healthcare when visiting certain European countries.
You are welcome to ask Hays Travel about the travel insurance policies we sell, which will cover the above, dependant on policy type.
Your holiday accommodation is usually reserved for you from 14.00 hrs (dependant on destination) on the day that you depart the UK. For flights departing between 00.01 and 04.00 hrs, the day of departure is deemed to be the previous day. On some occasions, you may arrive in the early hours or during the course of the morning; in which case, your accommodation should be available immediately – this is classed as the first night of your holiday. Rooms are normally vacated at 12.00 noon on the last day of your holiday. However, in some areas, this may be earlier. If you are on an All Inclusive, Half Board or Full Board basis, you may lose a meal due to your flight times.